Disclaimer: I received free entry to the Illinois Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!”
I am so excited about the opportunity to run this race ya’ll. I first became interested in it after watching other BibRave Pros post about running it earlier this year. My mom grew up in Danville, IL which is approx a 40 min drive from Champaign/Urbana where the race is held. We spent some weekends in Champaign when I was a kid and the highlight was always getting to stay in a hotel with an indoor pool! Kids are easy to please right? April’s trip to Champaign will require an overnight stay and I’m sure my own kids will be just as excited to stay in a hotel with an indoor pool!
When the chance came with BibRave to run the Illinois Marathon, I knew I wanted to be part of it! The dates for the race are April 23-25, 2020. This is the weekend before another marathon that I am committed to and so I chose to run the half marathon. But ya’ll know I love a challenge (and all the extra medals and swag!!), so I am going to take on the Half I-Challenge and run the 5K the night before the half marathon. There is also a full I-Challenge available which consists of the 5K and full marathon, a relay I-Challenge which consists of the 5K and the marathon relay and a Mini I -Challenge which consists of the 5K and 10K races. Completing any of these challenges will earn you an extra I-Challenge medal and bragging rights!! If you are interested in running any of the challenges it is important that you register for the appropriate challenge and not the races individually.
Another awesome thing about the Illinois Marathon is that all the races (including the 5K on Friday night) finish on the 50 yard line of Memorial Stadium. This the home field for University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign’s football team. I have personally never ran any run that ends in a stadium and I feel like that will be super exciting!!! I am also excited to take a 13.1 mile tour through Chalmpaign/Urbana and take in all of the sights. That is always one of my favorite parts of running in a new place.
Some other highlights of the Illinois Marathon are:
- Flat and fast courses… A beautiful, scenic tour of revitalized downtown streets, tree-lined residential neighborhoods and awesome, paved park trails
- Thousands of friendly, fun fans and volunteers from Champaign-Urbana who exemplify Midwest hospitality
- First-class race shirts, medals, food, and fanfare
- Boston qualifier
- Youth run for kids 10 & under. This fun run takes place entirely inside of Memorial Stadium and is roughly 1K in length. Celebrate youth fitness with the Busey Youth Run Funzone! Let local children’s vendors keep your little racer entertained as they wait their turn to take the field. Located in the Great East Hall, festivities will begin at 1 p.m. and run through 3 p.m.
- Meijer 27th Mile Celebrate Victory Bash right after your race on Saturday, April 25. Learn more by clicking on the link here: Meijer 27th Mile Celebration Victory Bash
- 4th Mile Street Fest, a high-energy event in conjunction with the Christie ClinicIllinois 5K Run/Walk on Friday, April 24. Learn more at this link: 4th Mile Street Fest
The best part is that you have lots of time to train and join me for one of the Illinois Marathon events. Register here: Illinois Marathon Registration and use code 2020bibraveillinois to save $5!!!!!! Next price increase is October 31st so register early to save even more! Here is the price increase schedule leading up to the event:
Price increase schedule:
Hope to see you there! Tag me on my social medias pages if you are running any event at the Illinois Marathon so I can cheer you on and follow your training!!!!